PROPER BIKE FIT
The typical consumer wanting to purchase a bike will go to their local bike shop, mass merchant, or specialty retailer and select a bike from the the available floor inventory. Discussion of "bike fit" rarely goes beyond "Bike Size". Bike Size has traditionally been measured by "Stand Over Height". Stand Over Height is the distance from the ground to the top of the top tube. In the case of a sloping top tube, the measurement is taken at the mid-length of the top tube.
When "bike size" is the only measurement that is used as a criteria for selecting a bike the consumer may not be getting the best "Bike Fit". Poor bike fit can result in pain and injury. To prevent pain and injury, consumers also need to consider "frame geometry"
Every bicycle manufacturer provides "specifications" for each of the bike frames they produce. "Specifications" are the manufacturers way of providing consumers with the geometry of the bikes frame. Bike frame geometry varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from bike to bike. Different tube lengths, and different frame angles make each bike frame unique. So, even though every manufacturer may make a 19" bike- the frame geometry will be different for each manufacturer resulting in a different fit for each bike.
For the greatest comfort on the bike, every cyclist should be measured by a bicycle fit expert. A fit expert will be able to determine not only bike size, but bike frame geometry. For the perfect fit, find a bike that most closely matches the specifications defined by the bike fit expert, or have a custom frame made.
Locate a Bike Fit Expert in your area:
Select a City from the menu on the right...
|F.I.S.T Certified Tri Bike Fitters
Fit Institute Slowtwitch (F.I.S.T.) is a two-day certification course for bike shop professionals specializing in triathlon bike fittings.
|GURU Dynamic Bike Fitting
The GURU is a bike fitting machine that allows a CAD software program to measure power out put and make adjustments to frame geometry in real time as a cyclist pedals. The machine captures cyclist feedback to create a personalized fit profile and product configuration that is unique to each cyclist. Powered by a proprietary system of fitting tools, software and methodology, GURU aligns critical body and bike measurements to the millimeter in real-time, providing an infinite range of automated adjustments as well as tailored bike and component recommendations.
|Retul Certified Bike Fit Expert
|Retül offers basic one-day system training, as well as more advanced three-day training through Retül University. Fitters are taught a science-based and data-driven approach to bicycle fitting. Attendees of Retül University have the opportunity to earn a Retül Fitter’s Certificate by accomplishing:
- Online tutorials - training and preparation undertaken before students come to Retül’s Denver, Colorado studio and classroom.
- Studio fitting - real clients getting real fits. A 3:1 student to teacher ratio means significant hands on experience with immediate feedback and evaluation. Student fitters learn to be comfortable and confident using the Retül system with the client, as well as developing professional skills in client service, assessment, and report analysis. This process delivers significant value when the fitter heads home to fit on his or her own, and faces the questions and challenges that come with every customer.
- Fit Audits - each certified fitter must complete three fit audits each year in order to maintain certification. The audits include the use of The Zin for before and after measurements, physiological marker placements, and a report detailing changes made to a rider’s position
|Serotta International Cycling Institute (SICI)
|SICI is a membership-based organization that provides bicycle fitting equipment, educational services, and consulting to bicycling retailers, coaches, clinicians, and the medical community.
A 3- day course that teaches the technician how to perform personalized bike fitting services. SICI Certification requires completion of the three day course, passing the course exam, and completing 10 practice fittings for review after returning home. This class is a prerequisite for all Advanced SICI classes.
The Course covers the following topics:
- SICI fit demo and overview
- Client communication
- Anatomy/kinematics relative to bike fit
- Physical assessment techniques of flexibility, range of motion and the foot
- Size Cycle set up and operation
- Fit business fundamentals
- Frame geometry and fit
- Existing bike fit
- Triathlon and mountain bike fit
- Common fit related complaints and solutions
SICI's advanced curriculum provides individual classes that are designed to cover specific topics with a high degree of detail. These classes are designed for experienced bike fitters who want to enhance their knowledge and expertise.
Advanced Classes Include:
- Triathlon Position (2-day class)
- Advanced Fitting (2-day class)
- Advanced Motion Capture (2-day class)
- Advanced Design Template
|Specialized Certified Masters BG Fit Technician
|Specialized Bicycle Certified Masters are Specialized Bike Dealers that have attended and passed all three levels of bike fit training offered by Specialized Bicycle Components University and Andy Pruitt from the Boulder Center of Sports Medicine.
Certified Masters BG FIT Technicians:
BG FIT CENTER
- Are highly trained in the Andy Pruitt / Boulder Center for Sports Medicine methodology of assessment and bicycle fit.
- Are uniquely qualified to conduct high level bike fits on your existing bike, or a new purchase.
- Can recommend products that allow the bicycle to adjust to unique challenges in flexibility, comfort, or power output.
- Are qualified to make adjustments to a fit to alleviate pain and discomfort associated with riding a bicycle.
- Are trained in muscle and skeletal anatomy related to the motion of cycling, common aches and pains associated with cycling, and the corrections necessary to address these issues.
- Have the ability to assess pedal stroke and install BG footbeds and varus/valgus wedges to properly align the foot/knee/hip for maximum efficiency and comfort.
- Can help people ride longer, faster, happier, and healthier so they gain the most from their cycling activities.
A BG FIT Center is a dedicated space within the store where a BG FIT Technician can effectively perform a BG FIT using the BG FIT DATA System. The DATA System is a dual camera video capture system allowing the BG FIT Technician to record and analyze a bike fitting with great accuracy. The DATA System will provide you a front and side profile video of your bike position both before and after the fitting.